If you’re a researcher looking to explore the benefits of AMP-kinase activation, you may be wondering how to establish the right AICAR dosage for your study.
AICAR is an analog of adenosine monophosphate, and has been documented to:
- boost endurance
- increase metabolism and fat loss
- reduce inflammation
Our research team has put together this AICAR dosage calculator and guide to go over the peptide’s possible applications and side effects.
Read through the end as we reveal our go-to online source for buying research-grade peptides, including AICAR.
Buy Aicar from our #1 recommended vendor...
Disclaimer: Peptides.org contains information about products that are intended for laboratory and research use only, unless otherwise explicitly stated. This information, including any referenced scientific or clinical research, is made available for educational purposes only. Peptides.org makes every effort to ensure that any information it shares complies with national and international standards for clinical trial information and is committed to the timely disclosure of the design and results of all interventional clinical studies for innovative treatments publicly available or that may be made available. However, research is not considered conclusive. Peptides.org makes no claims that any products referenced can cure, treat or prevent any conditions, including any conditions referenced on its website or in print materials.
What is AICAR?
AICAR (alternatively, acadesine) is a naturally occurring substance that regulates adenosine—a nucleoside that occurs in all cells of the body. It also activates AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK), a protein that regulates metabolism and energy homeostasis [1, 2].
By regulating metabolism and critical biological functions, AMPK works to conserve cellular energy and viability in conditions of metabolic stress. In short, AMPK ensures that the various tissues of the body do not exhaust their supply of energy [2, 3].
Following decades of research into AMPK, the scientific community began to take interest in AICAR as “exercise in a pill.” Animal studies showed that AICAR treatment could enhance running endurance without subjecting the test subjects to any additional exercise .
The substance would eventually be banned for use in competitive sport by the World Anti-Doping Agency, among other organizations
AICAR is currently being examined as a therapeutic agent in a range of contexts, including diabetes, alcohol-induced fatty liver, and kidney cancer [4, 5, 6].
Researchers are actively exploring the potential benefits of AICAR administration, including fat burning, inflammation reduction, and endurance optimization.
Weight loss: AMPK activation, whether through exercise or AICAR administration, can result in a healthier metabolic state with the potential of treating obesity and reversing metabolic abnormalities .
Longevity/anti-aging: Research indicates that cellular AMPK activity declines with age, thus hindering efficient cellular homeostasis and accelerating the aging process. AICAR administration is studied as a means of preserving AMPK signaling and thus healthspan and lifespan .
Improved insulin sensitivity: Researchers have found that activating AMPK in adipose tissue is beneficial in insulin-resistant states, since AMPK activation also reduces cytokine secretion in adipocytes .
Reduced obesity-linked inflammation: Long-term administration of low-dose AICAR has been shown to suppress adipose inflammation in obese mice. The reduction of inflammation was linked to enhanced glucose homeostasis and insulin sensitivity .
Air pollution-related metabolic disorders: Research into AMPK activation via AICAR has found that it may prevent metabolic disorders attributable to air pollution exposure. Researchers have associated the adverse impacts of air pollution on insulin sensitivity, energy homeostasis, lipid metabolism, and inflammatory response with AMPK inhibition .
Anti-inflammatory activity: AICAR has been shown to play a protective role in animal models of acute lung injury, asthma, colitis, atherosclerosis, and other inflammatory diseases .
Increased endurance: In a 2008 study, researchers treated sedentary mice with AICAR at a dose of 500mg/kg per day, finding that the treatment genetically reprogrammed their muscle metabolism to increase their running endurance by 44% .
AICAR Side Effects
With decades of clinical use and research to support its safety record, AICAR is generally regarded as safe and well-tolerated when administered by licensed professionals .
Researchers should nonetheless monitor for the following potential side effects of AICAR administration :
- Excessive buildup of lactic acid
- Fatty liver
- Irregular bowel movements
- Irregular blood flow
Further, in its 2019 report on AICAR and other AMP-kinase activators, the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) cautioned that excess AMPK activation, or activation in the wrong tissue, “can cause serious side effects, including neurodegeneration, or preventing cells from dividing.” The agency added that the “accumulation of naturally-occurring AICAR in the body is also associated with metabolic disorders in humans” .
Since AICAR is most often administered via subcutaneous injection, researchers should follow best practices to mitigate the occurrence of injection-related side effects like pain, swelling, or reddening at the injection site.
AICAR Dosage Calculator and Guide
AICAR is sold as a research chemical, so there are no official or uniform guidelines on its administration. Researchers should thus follow standard peptide reconstitution guidelines when preparing AICAR for injection.
To properly reconstitute and inject AICAR, researchers should have the following supplies:
- Vial of lyophilized AICAR
- Vial of bacteriostatic water
- Sterile syringe
- Alcohol wipes
Follow these step to prepare AICAR for injection:
- Remove the tops of the vials and wipe their surfaces with alcohol swabs to prevent contamination or infection.
- Insert the sterile syringe into the vial of bacteriostatic water and withdraw the amount needed.
- Slowly inject the bacteriostatic water into the AICAR vial, letting it trickle down the side and gradually dissolving the powder.
- Do not shake or stir the vial, as this may compromise the integrity of the peptide.
- Refrigerate any leftover solution.
Sample AICAR Dosing Protocol
For reference purposes, here is a sample AICAR dosing protocol that researchers may administer to achieve benefits like enhanced endurance in test subjects:
- Daily Dosage: 25mg administered subcutaneously.
- Study Duration: Two weeks
- AICAR Cycle: The peptide should not be administered indefinitely. Subjects should be afforded a pause of one to two months before any reinitiation of administration. Limit AICAR administration to three two-week courses annually per subject.
- Notes: Based on this protocol, a single two-week study requires a total of seven AICAR 50mg vials.
Where to Buy AICAR Online? | 2023 Edition
Due to increased research interest in AICAR and other AMP-kinase activators, the peptide is readily available online to qualified researchers and laboratory professionals.
At Peptides.org, we have ordered research chemicals from a number of online vendors, finding that some offer low-quality or excessively costly AICAR, while others deliver premium products at a fair price.
In our experience, Peptide Sciences is the best vendor of research peptides and related chemicals. With excellent peptide quality, shipping policies, and customer service, this vendor ships 99% pure AICAR to researchers around the globe.
Here is why we endorse this vendor:
- USA-made peptides: All peptides sold at Peptide Sciences are manufactured in the United States in accordance with industry best practices. The vendor works only with WHO/GMP and ISO 9001:2008 approved manufacturers to obtain the highest purity peptides possible.
- Third-party testing: All Peptide Sciences peptides go through high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) plus mass spectrometry (MS) testing to ensure the purity and identity of each batch sold. The corresponding Certificates of Analysis are available on the vendor’s website for easy browsing.
- Bulk discounts: One AICAR 50mg vial costs $60, but since you’ll probably be ordering multiple vials, take advantage of the vendor’s bulk discounts available for purchases of three or more vials.
- Fast shipping: Domestic orders usually take two to three business days to arrive, and even ship free if the order value exceeds $200. International orders take seven or more business days to arrive, depending on the destination.
- Customer care: Researchers may contact Peptide Sciences’ dedicated customer support team with any questions or concerns, and they will usually respond within one or two days.
Researchers looking to purchase high-quality AICAR for their next study should head directly to Peptide Sciences, the best in the business.
Buy Aicar from our #1 recommended vendor...
Bacteriostatic Water for Injection
Researchers of all disciplines need to have the right tools for their studies. This is especially important when handling peptides, including AICAR.
To be able to correctly administer peptides, as well as prepare and store them, items like bacteriostatic water, needles, and insulin syringes are indispensable.
Yet some researchers struggle to gather all the necessary materials, as solid suppliers of all the products are rare.
We at Peptides.org are happy to help you overcome this challenge and provide you with our best recommendation for all your research supply purchases.
This vendor rises above the rest with its unique offerings of full research supply kits. The top-quality BacteriostaticWater.org catalog includes two deluxe kits that deliver all you need.
The starter research kit is a great choice, complete with:
- Bacteriostatic Water (30mL) – 3x
- Insulin Syringes (0.5 cc/mL x 29g x ½) – 100x
- Alcohol Prep Pads – 200x
- Sterile Empty Glass Vial (10mL) – 1x
- Large Needles + Syringes Combo (3cc x 21g x 1) – 10x
The premium research kit is another excellent option, featuring:
- Bacteriostatic Water (30mL) – 5x
- Insulin Syringes (0.5 cc/mL x 29g x ½) – 200x
- Alcohol Prep Pads – 200x
- Sterile Empty Glass Vial (10mL) – 2x
- Large Needles + Syringes Combo (3cc x 21g x 1) – 20x
Order a deluxe kit from this superior supplier to see why it is our first choice! Explore supply kits here!
Buy Bacteriostatic Water from our #1 recommended vendor...
AICAR Dosing | Verdict
Through its mechanism of activating AMP kinase, AICAR has been shown to reduce inflammation, aid in fat burning, and boost energy and endurance in a variety of research contexts.
Researchers and clinicians are increasingly turning to this peptide to help prevent or battle the effects of diabetes, auto-immune disorders, and other inflammatory conditions.
AICAR has had a favorable safety record to date, though researchers should note that it is banned for use by anti-doping organizations such as WADA and USADA.
If you are a researcher looking to delve into the uses and applications of AICAR, we recommend visiting Peptide Sciences to purchase research-grade peptides.