Researchers looking to explore the benefits of AMP-kinase activation may be wondering how to establish the right AICAR dosage for their study.
AICAR is an analog of adenosine monophosphate, and has been documented to:
- Boost endurance
- Increase metabolism and fat loss
- Reduce inflammation
Our research team has put together this AICAR dosage calculator and guide to go over the peptide’s possible research applications and side effects.
Read through the end as we reveal our go-to online source for buying research-grade peptides, including AICAR.
Buy Aicar from our top-rated vendor...
Disclaimer: Peptides.org contains information about products that are intended for laboratory and research use only, unless otherwise explicitly stated. This information, including any referenced scientific or clinical research, is made available for educational purposes only. Likewise, any published information relative to the dosing and administration of reference materials is made available strictly for reference and shall not be construed to encourage the self-administration or any human use of said reference materials. Peptides.org makes every effort to ensure that any information it shares complies with national and international standards for clinical trial information and is committed to the timely disclosure of the design and results of all interventional clinical studies for innovative treatments publicly available or that may be made available. However, research is not considered conclusive. Peptides.org makes no claims that any products referenced can cure, treat or prevent any conditions, including any conditions referenced on its website or in print materials.
AICAR Dosage Chart | Quick Breakdown
|Sample Research Protocol||Administer dose daily for up to 2 weeks|
|Repeat Cycle||Up to 2 times per year|
What is AICAR?
AICAR (alternatively, acadesine) is a naturally occurring substance that regulates adenosine—a nucleoside that occurs in all cells of the body. It also activates AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK), a protein that regulates metabolism and energy homeostasis [1, 2].
By regulating metabolism and critical biological functions, AMPK works to conserve cellular energy and viability in conditions of metabolic stress. In short, AMPK ensures that the various tissues of the body do not exhaust their supply of energy [2, 3].
Following decades of research into AMPK, the scientific community began to take interest in AICAR as “exercise in a pill.” Animal studies showed that AICAR treatment could enhance running endurance without subjecting the test subjects to any additional exercise .
The substance would eventually be banned for use in competitive sport by the World Anti-Doping Agency, among other organizations
AICAR Benefits and Research Applications
Researchers are actively exploring the potential benefits of AICAR administration, including fat burning, inflammation reduction, and endurance optimization.
Here's a few of the most common benefits:
- Weight loss: AMPK activation, whether through exercise or AICAR administration, can result in a healthier metabolic state with the potential of treating obesity and reversing metabolic abnormalities .
- Longevity/anti-aging: Research indicates that cellular AMPK activity declines with age, thus hindering efficient cellular homeostasis and accelerating the aging process. AICAR administration is studied as a means of preserving AMPK signaling and thus healthspan and lifespan .
- Improved insulin sensitivity: Researchers have found that activating AMPK in adipose tissue is beneficial in insulin-resistant states, since AMPK activation also reduces cytokine secretion in adipocytes .
- Reduced obesity-linked inflammation: Long-term administration of low-dose AICAR has been shown to suppress adipose inflammation in obese mice. The reduction of inflammation was linked to enhanced glucose homeostasis and insulin sensitivity .
- Air pollution-related metabolic disorders: Research into AMPK activation via AICAR has found that it may prevent metabolic disorders attributable to air pollution exposure. Researchers have associated the adverse impacts of air pollution on insulin sensitivity, energy homeostasis, lipid metabolism, and inflammatory response with AMPK inhibition .
- Anti-inflammatory activity: AICAR has been shown to play a protective role in animal models of acute lung injury, asthma, colitis, atherosclerosis, and other inflammatory diseases .
- Increased endurance: In a 2008 study, researchers treated sedentary mice with AICAR at a dose of 500mg/kg per day, finding that the treatment genetically reprogrammed their muscle metabolism to increase their running endurance by 44% .
AICAR Side Effects
With decades of clinical use and research to support its safety record, AICAR is generally regarded as safe and well-tolerated when administered by licensed professionals .
Researchers should nonetheless monitor for the following potential side effects of AICAR administration :
- Lactic acidosis
- Fatty liver disease
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Disrupted hemodynamics
Further, in its 2019 report on AICAR and other AMP-kinase activators, the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) cautioned that excess AMPK activation, or activation in the wrong tissue, “can cause serious side effects, including neurodegeneration, or preventing cells from dividing.” The agency added that the “accumulation of naturally-occurring AICAR in the body is also associated with metabolic disorders in humans” .
Since AICAR is most often administered via subcutaneous injection, researchers should follow best practices to mitigate the occurrence of injection-related side effects like pain, swelling, or reddening at the injection site.
AICAR Dosage Calculator and Guide
AICAR is available only as a research chemical, and there are no official guidelines on its administration, or any dosage regimens approved as “safe”.
Nevertheless, the peptide has been tested in several phase-2 and even phase-3 trials, which have employed it in the form of continuous intravenous infusion (for up to 7 hours at a time) .
The majority of these trials have used a single infusion in doses ranging from 5mg/kg of body weight to 315mg per kg of bodyweight. Single doses of at least 30mg/kg have been reported to improve muscle glucose uptake and cardiac function .
Research regarding AICAR’s potential effect on hematologic malignancies (leukemia) have also tested repeated infusions, in doses of up to 210mg/kg per infusion, and up to a total of 6 infusions within 12 days.
Yet, such high doses have shown an increased risk of kidney toxicity, which has led to discontinuation of the therapy in some subjects, despite the beneficial effects of the peptide on certain hematological parameters. The peptide has not been clinically tested for periods longer than 12 days .
Furthermore, current management of hematological malignancies is extremely complex, well-developed, highly regulated, and specialized to the particular clinical situation. New treatments, including potential adjuvant treatments, thus have a long, uphill path to travel before they could be worked into current clinical protocol.
Sample AICAR Dosing Protocol For Research
For reference purposes, here is a sample AICAR dosing protocol that researchers may administer to achieve benefits like enhanced endurance in test subjects:
- Daily Dosage: 25mg/daily
- Frequency: Daily subcutaneously.
- Study Duration: Up to two weeks
- Notes: Based on this protocol, a single two-week study requires a total of seven AICAR 50mg vials. Monitor kidney function throughout the whole period of the experiment.
Given the potential for kidney damage at high dosage protocols, researchers should begin therapeutic protocols with significantly reduced doses, such as a maximum of 25mg/daily for a maximum duration of two weeks. As an alternative, subjects can be administered 50mg every other day for the same two-week period, achieving an equivalent total dosage.
AICAR should not be cycled for longer than 14 days. Further, there should be a washout period of at least 1-2 months before reinitiating the cycle, and there should not be more than three cycles annually per subject.
Where to Buy AICAR Online? | 2024 Edition
Due to increased research interest in AICAR and other AMP-kinase activators, the peptide is readily available online to qualified researchers and laboratory professionals.
At Peptides.org, we have ordered research chemicals from a number of online vendors, finding that some offer low-quality or excessively costly AICAR, while others deliver premium products at a fair price.
In our experience, Core Peptides is the best vendor of research peptides and related chemicals. With excellent peptide quality, shipping policies, and customer service, this vendor ships 99% pure AICAR to researchers around the globe.
Here is why we endorse this vendor:
- USA-made peptides: All peptides sold at Core Peptides are manufactured in the United States in accordance with industry best practices. The vendor works only with cGMP manufacturers to obtain the highest purity peptides possible.
- Third-party testing: All Core Peptides peptides go through high performance liquid chromatography and mass spectrometry (HPLC-MS) testing to ensure the purity and identity of each batch sold. The corresponding Certificates of Analysis are available on the vendor’s website for easy browsing.
- Bulk discounts: One AICAR 50mg vial costs $58, but since researchers will probably be ordering multiple vials, take advantage of the vendor’s bulk discounts available for purchases of five or more vials.
- Fast shipping: Domestic orders usually take two to three business days to arrive, and even ship free if the order value exceeds $200. International orders take seven or more business days to arrive, depending on the destination.
- Customer care: Researchers may contact Core Peptides’ dedicated customer support team with any questions or concerns, and they will usually respond within one or two days.
Buy research peptides from Core Peptides today...
Bacteriostatic Water and AICAR
Researchers of all disciplines need to have the right tools for their studies. This is especially important when handling peptides, including AICAR.
To be able to correctly prepare and store research peptides, items like bacteriostatic water, sterile vials, and more is requires.
Yet some researchers struggle to gather all the necessary materials, as solid suppliers of all the products are rare. However, it is a required step in the research process.
AICAR Dosing | Verdict
Through its mechanism of activating AMP kinase, AICAR has been shown to reduce inflammation, aid in fat burning, and boost energy and endurance in a variety of research contexts.
Researchers and clinicians are increasingly turning to this peptide to help prevent or battle the effects of diabetes, auto-immune disorders, and other inflammatory conditions.
AICAR has had a favorable safety record to date, though researchers should note that it is banned for use by anti-doping organizations such as WADA and USADA.
Researchers looking to delve into the uses and applications of AICAR, we recommend visiting our top-rated vendor to purchase research-grade peptides.