Looking for the ideal melanotan 1 dosage? Inside, researchers will find everything they must know about dosing this powerful peptide.
Researchers interested in melanotan 1 may be aware of the benefits of this alpha-MSH analog, including its use as a sunless tanning agent.
Initially developed in the 1980s by University of Arizona researchers, the peptide has since been approved in both the US and Europe to prevent sun-related skin damage in erythropoietic protoporphyria patients.
While there is extensive clinical trial data to back the benefits of melanotan 1, not all researchers might be clear on the proper melanotan 1 dosage to administer to test subjects.
That is why we have put together this educational guide to melanotan 1, which includes dosing and administration notes. Read through the end as we reveal our go-to vendor of research peptides, including melanotan 1.
Buy Melanotan 1 from our #1 recommended vendor...
Disclaimer: Peptides.org contains information about products that are intended for laboratory and research use only, unless otherwise explicitly stated. This information, including any referenced scientific or clinical research, is made available for educational purposes only. Peptides.org makes every effort to ensure that any information it shares complies with national and international standards for clinical trial information and is committed to the timely disclosure of the design and results of all interventional clinical studies for innovative treatments publicly available or that may be made available. However, research is not considered conclusive. Peptides.org makes no claims that any products referenced can cure, treat or prevent any conditions, including any conditions referenced on its website or in print materials.
What is Melanotan 1?
Melanotan 1 (MT1) is a synthetic peptide analog of alpha-melanocyte stimulating hormone (alpha-MSH), an endogenous peptide hormone with effects on skin pigmentation, sexual function, appetite, and metabolism.
By mimicking alpha-MSH, MT1 stimulates melanocytes to produce and release more melanin in the body. It is typically injected subcutaneously or, less frequently, administered as an implant.
The peptide works by binding to the melanocortin receptors 1, 3, 4, and 5 (MC1R, MC3R, MC4R, MC5R), with high affinity at MC1R, with the effect of increasing melanin production and tanning in research subjects [1, 2, 3].
The molecule was initially developed for use as a sunless tanning agent and has since undergone extensive clinical study. Research has revealed that melanotan 1 may be beneficial in treating a variety of skin disorders and preventing cognitive decline, among other uses [4, 5].
In both Europe and the United States, the peptide has been approved as afamelanotide to prevent skin damage from sun exposure in patients with erythropoietic protoporphyria, a rare skin condition characterized by acute non-blistering photosensitivity, sunlight intolerance, and a significant reduction in quality of life .
Melanotan 1 Benefits
Apart from its use as a sunless tanning agent, melanotan 1 has been shown to produce benefits in a host of clinical and research settings. We cover some of these below.
Melanotan 1 and skin tanning
Melanotan 1 has been shown to effectively speed up the tanning process while reducing the incidence of sunburnt cells in research subjects. In three phase 1 clinical trials undertaken at the Arizona Health Sciences Center, volunteers who received MT1 injections experienced sunless tanning without any pathologic findings and minimal side effects. The researchers concluded that the peptide may be combined with sun exposure to safely achieve a desired tanning outcome .
Melanotan 1 and vitiligo
In a 2015 multicenter trial, researchers set out to determine if a melanotan 1 implant combined with light therapy could treat vitiligo more effectively than phototherapy alone. After five months of testing on patients with nonsegmental vitiligo, the researchers found that MT1 therapy coupled with NB–UV-B phototherapy produced statistically significant superior and faster repigmentation compared with monotherapy, especially in the face and upper extremities [7, 8].
Melanotan 1 and EPP
Similarly, in a phase 3 clinical trial in erythropoietic protoporphyria (EPP) patients, researchers examined whether a melanotan 1 implant could safely enable the patients to expose themselves to direct sunlight under the most intense natural conditions. The EPP patients receiving the melanotan 1 implant experienced significantly less pain from phototoxicity, half as many phototoxic reactions, and an improvement in quality of life, compared to placebo .
Melanotan 1 and cognitive health
Researchers have used a mouse model to show that MT1 may slow the onset of cognitive decline and Alzheimer’s Disease (AD). When administered the peptide, mice with moderate AD exhibited a reduced level of amyloid beta plaques in the brain, improved cognitive functionality and synaptic transmission, and protection against neuronal death. The researchers pinpointed that melanotan 1’s neuroprotective effect was associated with its activity at the melanocortin 4 receptor (MC4R) .
Melanotan 1 and acne
In 2011, German researchers conducted a Phase 2 open label study to determine the effect of melanotan 1 administration on subjects with mild to moderate acne vulgaris. The researchers found that male subjects with acne on the face and trunk experienced a significant decline in inflammatory acne lesions in the face, as well as an improvement in quality of life as measured by DLQI .
Melanotan 1 Side Effects
When administered according to clinical guidelines, melanotan 1 presents relatively minor potential side effects that typically cease with discontinuation of therapy.
Here are the minor side effects of melanotan 1 as observed in clinical studies to date [4, 11, 12]:
- Facial, neck, and upper trunk flushing
A 2019 case study reported a rare occurrence of acute priapism in a male subject following a melanotan 1 injection. Priapism is a prolonged and painful erection caused by excessive blood flow .
The above notwithstanding, melanotan 1 is generally regarded as being safe and well-tolerated when administered by qualified professionals [4, 14].
Melanotan 1 Dosage Calculator and Guide
Researchers are advised to follow standard peptide reconstitution guidelines when preparing melanotan 1 for injection.
Below we include administration notes and a sample dosing protocol, with reference to clinical trial data involving this peptide.
Melanotan 1 Administration Notes
- Melanotan 1 is typically administered subcutaneously into the fatty layers of tissue surrounding the midsection.
- Some darkening of the skin may occur following melanotan 1 injection, and the peptide may induce more potent effects when administered alongside UV light therapy.
- Phase 1 trials investigating melanotan 1 as an implant in skin disorder patients have tested doses ranging from 0.08mg/kg to 0.16mg/kg per day [15, 16].
- Melanotan 1 has a half-life of approximately 1.5 hours when administered subcutaneously, so some researchers have administered the peptide twice daily to skin disorder patients to maintain therapeutic levels .
- An excessively high dose of melanotan 2, a related molecule, has been linked to priapism. In one case, a 60-year-old male subject experienced drastically elevated heart rate and blood pressure after injecting 10mg of melanotan 2 in a single day. Researchers are therefore advised to follow a daily melanotan 1 dosing schedule well beneath this level. For reference, the research indicates that a subject requires roughly twice the amount of MT1 as MT2 to attain the same effect .
Melanotan 1 Dosing Protocol for Sunless Tanning
For reference purposes, here is a sample melanotan 1 protocol for sunless tanning in test subjects.
- Daily Dosage: 1mg
- Frequency: In the first week, administer one subcutaneous injection daily. Afterwards, administer one maintenance injection per week.
- Study Duration: 4-6 weeks
- Notes: Researchers following this melanotan 1 protocol will require one to two 10mg vials of melanotan 1 for one tanning cycle.
Where to Buy Melanotan 1 Online?
Researchers are well-advised to buy melanotan 1 only from a trusted source of research peptides.
Peptide Sciences is the preferred provider for the Peptides.org team as well as the research community at large. They deliver 99% pure melanotan 1 to researchers around the world and enjoy a solid reputation atop the community.
Here are some highlights about buying from this vendor.
- Third-Party Testing: Each batch of melanotan 1 from Peptide Sciences is rigorously tested by an independent laboratory to provide researchers with clear data on the contents and purity of each vial.
- USA-Made Peptides: Peptide Sciences sources all reference materials in the United States from accredited partners, which affords researchers additional peace of mind that their peptides are genuine and safe to administer.
- Bulk Discounts: The vendor currently lists MT1 10mg for $49.50, and the vendor offers bulk discounts from orders of three vials or more.
- Quick Shipping: The vendor charges a flat fee of $15 for shipping on all domestic orders, and waives this fee on orders over $200. Domestic orders take two to three business days to arrive, while deliveries to select international destinations take seven to ten business days.
- Customer Service: Researchers may contact Peptide Sciences’ dedicated customer service team by email or phone, and may expect a response in as little as one business day.
Researchers looking to source high-quality melanotan 1 are advised to buy from Peptide Sciences, the research community’s most trusted vendor.
Buy Melanotan 1 from our #1 recommended vendor...
Melanotan 1 Dosing | Verdict
Noted for its ability to induce sunless tanning, melanotan 1 has also been shown to produce a variety of positive effects in skin disorder patients.
Specifically, research indicates that melanotan 1 can confer protection against cognitive decline and improve the quality of life of vitiligo, EPP, and acne patients, among others.
The peptide is generally regarded as safe and well-tolerated, while occasionally producing minor adverse effects associated with its effect on melanogenesis.
Researchers looking to procure research-grade melanotan 1 should turn to none other than Peptide Sciences, the best in the business.