This melanotan 2 dosage calculator and guide is aimed at researchers planning to experiment with this peptide. Below, researchers will find a complete overview of melanotan 2 including its purported benefits, side effects, and overall safety profile, as well as full details of how it has been administered to test subjects in past studies.
Given melanotan 2’s status as a research chemical, there are no official published figures to indicate the dosage at which it should be administered to test subjects. However, data from previous studies may provide a useful starting point for researchers interested in planning future experiments.
Researchers interested in working with melanotan 2 can find details of our recommended peptide vendor that can ship this peptide worldwide.
Let’s get to it!
Buy Melanotan 2 from our #1 recommended vendor...
Disclaimer: Peptides.org contains information about products that are intended for laboratory and research use only, unless otherwise explicitly stated. This information, including any referenced scientific or clinical research, is made available for educational purposes only. Peptides.org makes every effort to ensure that any information it shares complies with national and international standards for clinical trial information and is committed to the timely disclosure of the design and results of all interventional clinical studies for innovative treatments publicly available or that may be made available. However, research is not considered conclusive. Peptides.org makes no claims that any products referenced can cure, treat or prevent any conditions, including any conditions referenced on its website or in print materials.
What Is Melanotan 2?
Melanotan 2 is a synthetic peptide that mimics alpha-melanocyte-stimulating hormone (α-MSH), a naturally occurring substance secreted from the pituitary gland .
The α-MSH peptide, along with all the other peptides in the body, plays an important role in regulating various bodily functions. They produce chemical signals by binding to receptors that are found throughout the body. Specifically, α-MSH binds to a set of receptors called melanocortin receptors .
There are 5 types of melanocortin receptors and each has a slightly different effect on the body. MC-1R is responsible for signaling the body to produce more melanin, the substance responsible for darkening skin and hair. Melanotan 2 can bind to the same receptors and may offer similar benefits in test subjects.
The other melanocortin receptors have different roles. For example, the MC-3R plays a role in regulating appetite and energy and MC-4R plays a role in regulating sexual behavior and erectile function. That's why past studies have linked melanotan 2 to other effects such as heightened libido and decreased body fat levels in test subjects.
Researchers unfamiliar with melanotan 2 may note that it differs slightly from melanotan 1. We’ll explore the main similarities and differences between these two peptides in the next section.
Melanotan 1 vs. Melanotan 2
What's the difference between melanotan 1 (MT-1) and melanotan 2 (MT-2)?
The main difference lies in their chemical structure. While both peptides have a chemical structure that closely resembles α-MSH, they differ in several important ways. Melanotan 1 is a straight, longer peptide while melanotan 2 is a shorter, circular peptide.
These chemical differences mean that these peptides bind to different melanocortin receptors and stimulate them differently. This means they have some effects in common, but also produce some different effects.
- Both melanotan 1 and melanotan 2 appear to darken the skin when administered to test subjects.
- Both peptides have similar side effects: flushing, nausea, darkening of moles.
- Studies have linked melanotan 2 dosing to increased libido in test subjects. This effect has not been observed in MT-1 studies.
- Melanotan 2 has a longer half-life than MT-1, so it has a more flexible dosing schedule. In past studies, test subjects have been administered MT-2 once per day, while MT-1 studies have typically involved twice-daily injections.
- Melanotan 1 is approved by the FDA and in the EU as a prescription medication for patients with erythropoietic protoporphyria; MT-2 isn't.
Having reviewed the main similarities and differences between MT-1 and MT-2 we will turn our attention to the main benefits and uses of MT-2.
Melanotan 2 Benefits and Uses
Past studies have linked melanotan II to a number of effects in test subjects. Here's a shortlist of those.
- Tanning and skin darkening. Studies have shown that melanotan 2 reduces the chance of test subjects getting sunburn and appears to protect the skin from sun damage. Some studies have suggested that MT-2 can even reduce the chance of getting skin cancer [3, 4, 5].
- Reduces hunger. Some research has found that melanotan II plays a role in regulating appetite. In animal studies, It has been found to reduce fat storage and change food preferences away from fatty foods [6, 7, 8].
- Regulating blood sugar. Some research has indicated that melanotan 2 doses may play a role in regulating blood sugar . This indicates that further research into the ability of MT-2 to regulate blood sugar levels may be merited.
- Improving impulse control and addictive behavior. Animal studies have found that melanotan 2 doses can help regulate impulsive behavior . This suggests that further research is warranted.
- Increasing libido and improving sexual function. Several studies have linked MT-2 to increased libido in test subjects [11, 12]. In fact, it was originally developed as a way to treat hypoactive sex drives in both male and female research subjects.
While these purported effects may spike the interest of peptide researchers, it should be stressed that melanotan 2 is a research chemical and has no safe dosage in human test subjects. So, what is known about melanotan 2 side effects?
Melanotan 2 Side Effects
What side effects does melanotan 2 produce in test subjects? Here’s a shortlist :
- Decreased appetite
- Increased sexual arousal and libido
- Darkening facial hair
- Darkening moles
Despite these side effects, a review of research on melanotan 2 has concluded that “side effects observed in clinical trials are largely minor” .
Let’s dive into how melanotan 2 has been dosed in past clinical studies.
Melanotan 2 Dosage Calculator and Guide
After reviewing the background, effects, and overall safety profile of melanotan 2, we’ll now explore how this research chemical has been administered in past clinical studies. We must stress that melanotan 2 studies are lacking and this merits further research.
Recommended melanotan 2 dosage?
Melanotan 2 has not been evaluated or approved by the US FDA and has no “recommended” dosage in humans. However, researchers can consult the relevant literature to see how this peptide has been dosed in past clinical studies.
- 250 micrograms (mcg) per day. According to a review of melanotan use and associated clinical outcomes by Brennan et al., past studies have dosed melanotan 2 at 250 mcg per day . This is the same as 0.25 milligrams (mg). Researchers have administered a single melanotan injection to test subjects per day. In terms of timing, most studies have involved a morning dosing schedule while some researchers have theorized that an evening dosing regime may lessen the side effects experienced by test subjects.
- 500 micrograms (mcg) per day. Some studies have involved melanotan 2 doses of 500 mcg (0.5 milligrams) per day. These once-daily injections were administered 20 minutes before sun exposure at various times during the morning or midday.
- Maximum 1 milligram (mg) per day. There is no evidence that melanotan 2 has been dosed in excess of 1 mg per day in any past trial.
While melanotan 2 is a research chemical with no known “safe” dose in humans, the above dosage regimes used in past studies may help inform peptide researchers when planning future experiments .
Getting the right equipment
To judge and calculate the correct melanotan 2 dose to administer to test subjects, researchers need to know a few things. These are as follows:
- How large the syringe is. Most peptide researchers have used insulin syringes to administer melanotan 2 because these have thin, short needles. There are several sizes, but they usually come in one of two sizes: 10 International Units (IUs) = 0.1 milliliters (mL) or 100 IUs = 1 mL.
- How much melanotan 2 is in the vial. Usually, melanotan 2 vials come in 2 milligrams (mg) or 10 mg.
For reasons of brevity, the following examples will assume that researchers are using a 100 IU (1 mL) syringe and 10 mg vial of melanotan II.
Reconstituting melanotan 2
When purchased as a reference material, melanotan 2 is shipped as a freeze-dried powder. This must be reconstituted with sterile water such as bacteriostatic water prior to use.
To reconstitute melanotan 2 and make it injectible, researchers may follow these directions:
- Remove the top of the melanotan 2 vial. Wipe the rubber stopper with an alcohol swab to sterilize it.
- Remove the top of the bacteriostatic water. Wipe that rubber stopper with alcohol too. This is to reduce the chance of infection.
- Insert the syringe into the vial of water. Hold it upside down and take out the water. Most researchers use 1 or 2 mL, but researchers should be aware that the amount will affect the melanotan 2 dose.
- Inject the water slowly in the vial of melanotan 2, aiming at the side (not the powder).
- Refrigerate for a few hours or overnight until the powder dissolves. The vial can be swirled or tilted but not shaken.
These calculations assume that researchers have access to a syringe size of 1 mL and have reconstituted 10 mg of melanotan 2 with 1 mL of bacteriostatic water:
- 250 mcg (0.25 mg) dose = 3 IUs
- 500 mcg (0.5 mg) dose = 5 IUs
- 750 mcg (0.75 mg) dose = 8 IUs
- 1 mg dose = 10 IUs
These calculations assume that researchers have access to a syringe size of 1 mL and have reconstituted 10 mg of melanotan 2 with 2 mL of bacteriostatic water:
- 250 mcg (0.25 mg) dose = 5 IUs
- 500 mcg (0.5 mg) dose = 10 IUs
- 750 mcg (0.75 mg) dose = 15 IUs
Where to Buy Melanotan 2 Online? | 2022 Guide
Researchers interested in exploring melanotan 2 may be curious about the best place to buy melanotan 2 online.
After extensive research, our team has determined that the best vendor for 2022 and beyond is Peptide Sciences.
Here's why we like them:
- Pure melanotan 2 peptides. Peptide Sciences produce research-grade melanotan 2 and get every batch tested by a third-party lab to ensure it meets stringent quality control checks.
- Great prices. Peptide Sciences has some of the most reasonable prices for legit melanotan 2 of any vendor.
- Easy, fast shipping. Peptide Sciences are based in the US and can ship peptides to researchers within 2-3 days, or 7-10 days if they are based internationally.
- Convenient, secure payment. They accept several different kinds of payments (credit cards, cryptocurrencies, etc) and also use the latest SSL technology so that all payment info stays secure.
- Great customer service. Their stellar customer support staff respond to most emails within 24 hours.
Researchers interested in getting started with melanotan 2 are advised to contact Peptide Sciences to discuss their needs.
Buy Melanotan 2 from our #1 recommended vendor...
Melanotan 2 Dosage | The Verdict?
While melanotan 2 isn’t FDA-approved like melanotan 1, early research indicates that this research chemical has numerous effects on test subjects, suggesting that further research may be warranted. Peptide researchers interested in exploring these effects may consult past clinical studies to see how other researchers have dosed melanotan 2.
With numerous aspects of melanotan 2 still yet to be explored, qualified researchers may contact Peptide Sciences for more information about ordering this peptide.