Researchers interested in working with tesamorelin may be curious about how it has been dosed in past studies. This tesamorelin dosage calculator and guide will outline the main research findings involving this peptide and summarize the dosages used by researchers.
Those unfamiliar with tesamorelin will find a summary of its purported benefits, side effects, and overall safety profile, as well as full instructions for reconstituting tesamorelin, storing it correctly, and administering it to test subjects.
Researchers ready to start experimenting with tesamorelin and looking to buy it online can find details of our preferred peptide vendor at the end of this guide.
Buy Tesamorelin from the #1 online Peptides vendor in the world...
Disclaimer: Peptides.org contains information about products that are intended for laboratory and research use only, unless otherwise explicitly stated. This information, including any referenced scientific or clinical research, is made available for educational purposes only. Peptides.org makes every effort to ensure that any information it shares complies with national and international standards for clinical trial information and is committed to the timely disclosure of the design and results of all interventional clinical studies for innovative treatments publicly available or that may be made available. However, research is not considered conclusive. Peptides.org makes no claims that any products referenced can cure, treat or prevent any conditions, including any conditions referenced on its website or in print materials.
What is Tesamorelin?
Tesamorelin peptide, also known by its trade name “Egrifta”, is a synthetic sequence of amino acids that mimics growth hormone-releasing hormone (GHRH) . GHRH is one of the thousands of peptides in the body that help regulate bodily functions .
In addition to being a peptide for research purposes, tesamorelin is also approved by the FDA as a prescription medication for lipodystrophy – a condition that causes patients to accumulate fat around the midsection.
Tesamorelin peptide structure
Tesamorelin peptide has a chemical structure that is essentially the same as GHRH . The primary function of GHRH is to stimulate the production and release of growth hormone, also known as GH or human growth hormone, HGH.
What is HGH?
HGH is a hormone that plays a critical role in multiple bodily processes including the growth of new tissue and repair of old tissue. HGH helps build muscle, repair, and rejuvenate the skin, synthesize bone material, and much more . HGH is especially important not just to ensure optimum growth in children but also to bodybuilders and athletes in need of muscle repair.
The problem is that HGH levels naturally decline with age . To combat this, some scientists have studied the effects of exogenous HGH administration to test subjects. Results from these studies have demonstrated positive benefits of GH therapy  but have also highlighted significant side effects .
That’s where tesamorelin comes in. It’s a GHRH mimetic that, studies have shown, can stimulate HGH without causing the same side effects seen with HGH.
Tesamorelin is best thought of as an alternative to exogenous HGH; it stimulates the body to secrete its own HGH and is believed to have fewer adverse effects. In other words, tesamorelin is believed to have a better safety profile than HGH.
Let’s take a close look at some of tesamorelin’s purported benefits and uses.
Tesamorelin Benefits and Uses
So what benefits does tesamorelin offer?
In the U.S., tesamorelin is sold under the brand name “Egrifta” and is used to treat HIV-positive patients with lipodystrophy caused by long-term antiretroviral therapy (ART).
However, other research has highlighted other clinically significant effects of tesamorelin:
- Increasing HGH. Several studies have noted that tesamorelin increases HGH in test subjects [8, 9]. This may have an impact on the body’s ability to grow and repair tissue.
- Burning fat. A number of studies have found that tesamorelin can significantly reduce fat in the stomach, in muscles, and even in the liver [3, 10, 11].
- Increased muscle. In elderly test subjects, tesamorelin has been shown to increase strength, muscle density, and the size of muscles .
- Improving cognition. Research has shown that tesamorelin can actually help test subjects with mild cognitive impairment perform better on cognitive tests [13, 14, 15].
- Nerve tissue repair. There is some evidence that suggests tesamorelin could help repair damaged nerve tissue in animal models .
- Reducing the risk of cardiac disease. Preliminary research suggests that tesamorelin may reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases [11, 17].
While these purported benefits sound encouraging, it must be stressed that tesamorelin’s sole use it to treat lipodystrophy. Research into tesamorelin’s other benefits is lacking and this may merit further investigation.
Is Tesamorelin legal?
The above benefits may be of interest to researchers, but is tesamorelin legal?
The legal status of tesamorelin varies from country to country. Each country has its own rules. But, yes, it is legal to buy tesamorelin in most countries.
There are two main ways that tesamorelin can be legally purchased. Firstly, patients diagnosed with lipodystrophy may obtain tesamorelin via prescription. Secondly, tesamorelin can be purchased by researchers for use in experiments. As such, it is classified as a “reference material” and can be used for research purposes only.
Let’s take a look at tesamorelin’s side effects.
Tesamorelin Side Effects
Researchers interested in experimenting with tesamorelin should be aware that clinical studies have linked this peptide to many adverse events (AEs) [3, 11, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23]. These AEs are listed below with their rate of incidence in test subjects:
- Injection site reactions, like pruritus, rash, pain, and swelling (3.1%)
- Arthralgia (2.4%)
- Pain in the extremities (1.1%)
- Myalgia (1.1%)
- Peripheral edema (1.1%)
- Paresthesia (0.9%)
- Hypoesthesia (0.7%)
- Rash (0.7%)
- Dyspepsia (0.3%)
- Muscle pain (0.3%)
- Pruritus (0.3%)
- Vomiting (0.3%)
- Muscle stiffness (0.3%)
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (0.2%)
- Joint swelling (0.2%)
- Night sweats (0.2%)
- Palpitations (0.2%)
Furthermore, clinical studies have linked tesamorelin to the following serious adverse events:
- Increased risk of glucose intolerance
- Increased risk of type 2 diabetes
- Disruption of hypothalamic-pituitary axis
- Congestive heart failure
- Peripheral neuropathy
- Loss of mobility
To date, no long-term tesamorelin studies involving healthy (non-elderly, non-HIV-infected) test subjects have been completed, suggesting that further research is merited. Therefore, researchers should carefully screen test subjects for pre-existing conditions before experimenting with this peptide.
Tesamorelin Dosage Calculator and Guide
Researchers intent of experimenting with tesamorelin should note that its only approved use in humans is to treat lipodystrophy in HIV patients. While there is strong research interest in the application of tesamorelin for other purposes, such as to improve body composition or athletic performance, there is currently no published research to indicate the dosage at which tesamorelin should be administered to these ends.
Peptide researchers may therefore consult the following data taken from relevant research findings when designing an experiment.
Tesamorelin for fat loss
When prescribed to treat lipodystrophy in HIV patients, the typical dose of tesamorelin is:
- One subcutaneous injection of tesamorelin per day
- 2 mg of tesamorelin per dose
- Administered to the abdominal region
- Taken at night, at least 90 minutes after eating
According to data from Phase III clinical trials involving HIV-infected test subjects with lipodystrophy, this treatment produces significant reductions in visceral adipose tissue (VAT) fat without affecting adipose tissue (SAT) fat (on limbs or subcutaneously) when administered for 26 weeks. When treatment was continued to 52 weeks, triglyceride levels fell and insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-1) levels increased in test subjects.
To date, there have been no clinical trials involving healthy (non-HIV-infected) test subjects. Therefore, there is no research to show whether tesamorelin stimulates fat loss in healthy test subjects (i.e. those without HIV), suggesting that further research is merited.
Tesamorelin bodybuilding dosage
Despite strong research interest in the application of tesamorelin to improve body composition, no clinical trials have yet been completed. There are no official or published figures to indicate the dosage at which it may be administered for this end.
In the absence of any trial data, researchers interested in exploring tesamorelin for bodybuilding may consult the above dosing schedule as a guide when designing an experiment.
Tesamorelin dose for cognition
For cognition, studies  have found success using the following dose of tesamorelin:
- 1 mg of Tesamorelin
- One injection per day
- At night, 30 minutes before bed
- 5 days on, 2 days off
- For 20 weeks
Tesamorelin dose for anti-aging and injury recovery
Preliminary research has linked tesamorelin to increased HGH test subjects and prompted researchers to speculate that it may improve the appearance of skin or promote recovery following injury. As with tesamorelin bodybuilding, there are no official or published figures to indicate the dosage at which tesamorelin may be administered to these ends.
How to administer a dose of tesamorelin to test subjects
Clinical trials involving HIV patients indicate that tesamorelin must be injected subcutaneously – under the skin. Researchers planning to administer tesamorelin to test subjects can follow these guidelines:
- Wash hands: Use soap and water to help prevent infection.
- Reconstitute the tesamorelin dosage. Inject bacteriostatic (sterile) water into the vial and then swirl (but don’t shake) it until everything is dissolved.
- Ensure no particles: Check for the presence of particles or discoloration. Discard the vial if any are noticed.
- Clean the injection area: Swab the area with rubbing alcohol.
- Inject under the skin: Administer the injection to the abdominal region, below the belly button of the test subject. Avoid areas with bruising, redness, or scar tissue.
- Rotate the location for each injection: This helps avoid issues with over-injection in one area.
Following these instructions will help reduce the incidence of side effects and infection in test subjects.
Other notes on tesamorelin dosage
Here are some other notes about administering tesamorelin to test subjects that researchers may consider.
- Administer tesamorelin at night. HGH levels naturally peak during nighttime. Administering tesamorelin to test subjects in the evening may enhance its effectiveness.
- Take tesamorelin at least 90 minutes after food. Food may interrupt how tesamorelin is absorbed. If nighttime dosing isn’t possible, an early morning dose may be suitable.
Having covered the main ways that tesamorelin may be dosed, we should mention where researchers can buy this peptide online.
Where to Buy Tesamorelin Online? | 2022 Guide
Our favorite online peptide vendor is Peptide Sciences.
They're the only vendor we recommend. The reason is that they've always provided us with high-quality products and any time there has been an issue with the order, they have responded immediately to fix it.
We love these things about Peptide Sciences:
- Product Quality: We love that they publish laboratory analyses to prove that their product is high quality and that they post the results of those tests on their website. It really boosts our confidence in their product.
- Payment options are convenient: We love being able to buy with cryptocurrency. But also, they can accommodate e-checks and a number of the major credit cards. Super convenient and secure.
- Quick shipping: Researchers living in the US should receive their order within 2-3 days from Peptide Sciences. Researchers based internationally may have to wait up to 10 days. Still, that's pretty good.
- Excellent customer service: We've never found such responsive customer service from our vendors as we've found with Peptide Sciences. They're so easy to get in touch with and they actually solve problems.
For those reasons, Peptide Sciences is our top recommendation.
Buy Tesamorelin from our #1 recommended vendor...
Tesamorelin Dosage | Verdict
Researchers curious about the right tesamorelin dosage for their next experiment will note that this peptide has no recognized clinical use aside from treating lipodystrophy in patients with HIV. This suggests that further research into tesamorelin’s purported benefits in healthy test subjects is warranted.
Hopefully, this guide has helped inform researchers about the risks involved in administering tesamorelin to test subjects and highlight areas where research may prove fruitful. Those wishing to begin their own experiments are advised to contact Peptide Sciences.