Concerned about ipamorelin side effects?
Many peptide researchers are interested in conducting ipamorelin studies. It has the proven ability to increase GH levels and influence overall body composition and levels of body fat in test subjects.
But is it safe to administer?
Based on the available research, ipamorelin treatment appears to create few adverse effects in test subjects.
This guide will offer all the necessary information that researchers may need to decide whether ipamorelin could be the right research peptide for future study. A full overview of the side effects that may be expected when ipamorelin is administered to research subjects will be presented.
Buy Ipamorelin from the #1 online Peptides vendor in the world...
Disclaimer: Peptides.org contains information about products that are intended for laboratory and research use only, unless otherwise explicitly stated. This information, including any referenced scientific or clinical research, is made available for educational purposes only. Peptides.org makes every effort to ensure that any information it shares complies with national and international standards for clinical trial information and is committed to the timely disclosure of the design and results of all interventional clinical studies for innovative treatments publicly available or that may be made available. However, research is not considered conclusive. Peptides.org makes no claims that any products referenced can cure, treat or prevent any conditions, including any conditions referenced on its website or in print materials.
What is Ipamorelin?
Ipamorelin is a pentapeptide (a peptide containing five amino acids) that mimics ghrelin, a naturally occurring hormone produced by enteroendocrine cells in the gastrointestinal tract . Ghrelin is responsible for several anabolic processes in the body including :
- Energy usage
- Appetite suppression
- Fat processing
As a ghrelin mimetic, ipamorelin significantly influences the GI system, body composition, and adiposity. It is also classified as a growth hormone (GH) secretagogue due to its ability to increase the secretion of GH and insulin growth-factor 1 (IGF-1) in the body.
What makes ipamorelin unique is that it is the world’s first selective GH secretagogue. This means that it binds to the same receptors as does endogenous ghrelin (the GHSR-1a receptors) and that it stimulates the cells in the pituitary gland to release more GH without raising ACTH or cortisol levels .
Ipamorelin’s secondary effect is that it reduces the amount of somatostatin, a GH-inhibiting hormone. By reducing somatostatin, ipamorelin is able to raise levels of endogenous GH and IGF-1 on par with what is possible with exogenous GH therapy .
Benefits of Ipamorelin
Ipamorelin is a research peptide that lacks U.S. Food and Drug Administration approval and has no recognized medical uses. However, here is a brief review of the benefits of ipamorelin as observed during various studies.
- Improved gastric motility: Two studies have linked ipamorelin to improved gastric motility [4, 5]. Greenwood-Van Meerveld et al. found that ipamorelin accelerated gastric emptying in adult male rats . Beck et al. found that ipamorelin did not improve measured outcomes (time to first tolerated meal and first bowel movement) any better than a placebo, but data from this study showed that ipamorelin treatment may help open laparotomy patients recover faster [5, 6, 7].
- Increased GH-release: K Raun et al. found that ipamorelin can stimulate GH release in animals (swine and rats) to an extent comparable with GHRP-6 . Other research has shown that ipamorelin can increase GH and body weight in rats .
- Increased body weight: Various animal studies have linked ipamorelin to body weight gain [8, 9]. Lall et al. found that GH-deficient and non-GH-deficient mice that received twice-daily injections of ipamorelin increased their body weight by 15.3% and 16.9% respectively in just 9 weeks. Dissections revealed that ipamorelin did not increase the weight or size of the rodents’ internal organs .
- Potential treatment for male hypogonadism: Deepankar et al. indicated that ipamorelin may help with weight gain in hypogonadal males .
- Purported anabolic benefits: Due to ipamorelin’s ability to increase GH secretion and body weight gain in animals , there is a good deal of speculation as to whether this peptide can be administered for muscle growth and fat loss. While GH therapy (not ipamorelin) has been shown to increase lean body mass and decrease fat mass in recreational athletes , there is no evidence showing that ipamorelin offers these benefits. Based on animal studies, ipamorelin actually increases the total body fat percentage of non-GH-deficient rodents .
- Purported anti-aging benefits: Anecdotal evidence shows that many anti-aging clinics tout ipamorelin as an anti-aging treatment that can reduce visible signs of aging. While there is evidence that growth hormone (GH) secretagogues like ipamorelin can increase lean body mass and decrease fat mass in seniors , long-term research shows that elevated GH levels increase disease risks and decrease life expectancy by accelerating the aging process .
Ipamorelin Side Effects | What Researchers MUST Know
Ipamorelin appears to have a significant influence on the GI system, adiposity, and overall body composition when administered to test subjects. However, it also produces some direct and indirect side effects. Here’s what you must know.
First, it's important to note that data from human clinical trials involving ipamorelin is extremely limited. To date, ipamorelin’s efficacy has only been tested in one phase 2 clinical trial, which was a small, proof of concept study that involved just 114 participants . While safety data from this trial is encouraging, the sample size is too small for any meaningful conclusions to be drawn.
Second, while animal studies have found that ipamorelin increases GH secretion and body weight gain in rodents without increasing liver size, as GH can, these studies were of short duration . The long-term use of ipamorelin for increasing GH secretion has yet to be studied and findings are, at best, preliminary .
Below, we will examine the most common side effects associated with ipamorelin.
Mild ipamorelin side effects
According to Deepankar et al. adverse effects associated with ipamorelin treatment are rare and similar to those reported with sermorelin . These include:
- Redness, itching, pain, rashes, and sensitivity at the site of injection
- Dry mouth
- Fever (that is transient, and goes away quickly)
Some of these side effects are easily avoided or treated. For example, changing the site of injections should help reduce pain or irritation at that particular spot.
Other possible ipamorelin side effects
There is currently no data from clinical trials linking ipamorelin to major side effects in humans. However, this is more to do with how little the peptide has been researched. To date, the only human trial involving ipamorelin was just 7 days long , which is clearly insufficient to draw any conclusions about this peptide's long-term side effects.
While the long-term safety of ipamorelin has yet to be evaluated, we can surmise that, as a growth hormone (GH) secretagogue, long-term ipamorelin therapy may indirectly produce side effects associated with elevated GH levels. As noted by Barkte, supranormal GH levels have been associated with :
- Increased disease risks
- Reduced life expectancy
- Acceleration of aging
However, Deepankar et al. found that ipamorelin did not raise serum levels of GH and IGF-1 beyond “physiological norms” . This suggests that it may not carry the same risks associated with exogenous GH therapy, which include joint stiffness, radiculopathy, and the risk of edema.
While ipamorelin could offer therapeutic and clinical potential, its long-term side effects have yet to be studied and this remains a clear area for further research.
Where to Buy Ipamorelin Online? | 2022 Guide
Researchers interested in buying ipamorelin online should exercise caution. Research peptides are largely unregulated across the English-speaking world, and many companies sell substandard or downright counterfeit products.
Our preferred place to buy ipamorelin online is Peptide Sciences. They are a reputable company with consistently high-quality products. In our opinion, they are the most trustworthy company currently selling ipamorelin and other research peptides.
Here are some of the reasons why we rated them so highly:
- Fast international shipping: As Peptide Sciences is an American company, shipping within the US takes 2 to 3 days. They also ship internationally within 7 to 10 days. Domestic shipping fees are waived on orders of over $200.
- High quality: All of their products are 99% pure with no additives or fillers. Peptide Sciences products are made for research, so they are top grade. Lab reports, including a Certificate of Analysis, High Performance Liquid Chromatography, and Mass Spectrometry, are available for every batch of ipamorelin on sale.
- Easy payment: Researchers can use all major credit cards as well as cryptocurrencies. Peptide Sciences uses a secure payment system to ensure that all personal and financial data is kept safe from order to delivery.
- Awesome customer service: If researchers encounter any issue with their order, they can talk to a professional who is always happy to help.
Peptide Sciences is the real deal when it comes to research peptides. And beyond standard ipamorelin they also sell ipamorelin peptide blends, including CJC-1295/ipamorelin, sermorelin/ipamorelin, and tesamorelin/ipamorelin.
Buy Ipamorelin from our #1 recommended vendor...
Side Effects of Ipamorelin? | Verdict
So what’s the verdict?
Having reviewed the available research, it is clear that ipamorelin is an under-researched growth hormone (GH) secretagogue that has strong clinical and therapeutic potential. It appears to be a potent stimulator of both GH and IGF-1 to an extent comparable with exogenous GH therapy, and it has a significant impact on body composition.
Ipamorelin has yet to pass phase two clinical trials, and further human studies evaluating are required before drawing any conclusions about this peptide’s side effects and long-term safety.
Ipamorelin certainly presents an interesting opportunity for further longitudinal studies and would be a strong candidate for medical research in metabolic syndrome and hypogonadism.